Monday, August 29, 2005

A circus called marriage

Recently I attended a marriage of one of my relatives. Wedding is one ritual that I always avoided for good number of reasons. But this time I wasn't that lucky despite using all my usual tricks. Just the thought of sitting in the marriage hall and watching all those dirty monkey tricks to lure unsuspecting guys/gals into the sea of sadness made me sick. There was one more reason why I did not want to attend this wedding. For most part of my education I was away from home. So apart from my immediate family no one else recognized me. They didn't even know that I exist. But that was about to change.

My misery began even before the wedding day, on the reception night. I felt like a hapless goat when I was being introduced to all those relatives whom I have never seen in my entire life. Then began the barrage of questions. I didn't even know how to negotiate some of them but give a nervous smile. This continued through the night. Somehow I managed to sneak out after the dinner.

Next morning I realized that the marriage ceremony is exactly like a jaathre(market) where you can showcase the products you have and see other's products. This is the main attraction why parents, particularly the ones who have prospective bride or groom, always make it to the weddings. One more thing that you can notice is that the girls change dress more often than the heroin in a Ravichandran (notorious Kannada hero) movie. Guys are not that far behind. They may not change the dress so often but they do everything (even a monkey dance) to make sure that they get noticed. Parents shamelessly encourage them by all means. It gets even worse when there is a big display screen. It is like watching the shit with a magnifying glass. As if this is not sufficient there are those sitting in a corner and ridiculing the marriage/bride/groom or their family. I even heard some say "enidhru nam sose/alliyan thara baralla ivaru" (she/he is not as good as my daughter-in-law/son-in-law).

This whole marriage thing is like a chain reaction, if one gets married there will be 3 or 4 more digging their graves with the help of their parents. Once you get into this vicious cycle you only try to pull in more people and end up as a sadist trying to ruin everyone coming in contact with you. Why can't we have a much simpler approach to life? It is worth giving a thought!

PS: Contents in this post subject to without notice. If this post disappears from the blog, assume that I became insane and decided to get married.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home