Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Perseid meteor shower

Day: 13th Aug 2005
Perseid meteor shower is an annual phenomenon occurring in the month of August. Since this meteor shower appears to come out of the constellation Perseus it is known as perseid. Having missed this on 12th (day when the shower peaked) and 13th being the last day for this meteor shower I woke up at 3:30 in the morning (high intensity was expected between 4am and 6am) . The last of the series of alarms I had put managed to wake me up. Took a blanket and went onto the terrace. Since my brain was still rebooting it took a while to spot the perseus constellation. Now all I had to do is to sit and look up. Did manage to see some but they were no where near perseus. Just when it became 4 the whole sky was blanketed with the clouds. Fortunately after 15-20 minutes sky was clear again but there was no activity. But having woken up so early I didn't want to go back and sleep. Waited for another 30 minutes by this time my neck was already paining. I actually started praying for clouds so that I can get back to sleep. But they were no where to be seen!!! Then finally they arrived:-) It was such a relief. Even before they covered the sky I was in my bed. It will be some time before I watch another meteor shower.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home